My New Year’s Resolutions
I stopped making New Year’s Resolutions some time ago. I’m not sure when it happened or why. It wasn’t a conscious decision, put perhaps a realisation that I never managed to maintain my resolutions, so why bother?
At Thanksgiving, I began reflecting on all that had transpired this past year; I watched my darling baby girl grow in her first year, planned a wedding…twice (thanks Irma), graduated from the Family Sleep Institute and launched my sleep consultancy business. It was busy, too busy at times but wow, look at everything I’d accomplished! So fueled by this “can do anything” energy, which is not one I’ve experienced often, I thought I would take a stab at creating some New Year’s Resolutions.
If you’ve ever worked for a large company, in an office type environment, you’ve likely heard of S.M.A.R.T. goals. For those who don’t, I’ll save you the google search. S.M.A.R.T. stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely. The purposed of this strategy is to ensure that the goals you set will be achieved. I love applying this method to goal setting because it prevents me from creating lofty goals I have no chance of accomplishing.
I spend my days advocationg for children’s sleep, yours and mine, yet my own sleep needs are low on my list of priorities. Considering the year that lies ahead; raising two under four, continuing to grow my sleep business, finalizing wedding plans, and actually walking down the aisle, I think it’s time sleep was bumped to the top of the list. Good quality sleep, as I preach, is an integral part of our well-being, and without it, that list of to do’s I just mentioned, doesn’t stand a chance.
With that in mind, here are my S.M.A.R.T. resolutions for 2018.
- Goal: To incorporate better sleep habits to improve my overall quality of sleep.
- No screens one hour before bed (off by 9pm)
- In bed by 9:30pm, 10pm on weekends (I have little kids!)
- Lights off by 10pm, 10:30pm on weekends (reading only, no screens)
- 8 hours of sleep per night…min. 7
- Goal: Establish healthy eating habits for life through planning and preparation
- Create weekly meal plan (Friday)
- Make shopping list & purchase groceries (Saturday)
- Prep breakfast, lunch and snacks for the week (Sunday)
- Set calendar reminders for the above
So those are my resolutions for 2018. What are yours?